Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Burning Buildings


the blue mosque

the blue mosque
awesome views from the roof...
This past week was tumultuous. Not really, but I really just wanted to use that word.... See, learning Arabic means I lose English. So I'm trying to get it back.

Anyways, a major disappointment - Jerash was cancelled last minute, literally right before I went to bed on Saturday night, the person I was going to go with wasn't feeling well. So we're planning on trying again sometime in the beginning of November, with some more classmates this time, so if someone is sick, I can still go. Unless I get sick. That would be ironic...

Also, a bug has been going around, no surprise there, and I caught it. So I've spent the past week not feeling well at all. I've still been going to classes, I wasn't sick enough to miss, but I've been sitting away from my classmates so they don't freak out about catching things from me.

I spent a lot of time this week studying and taking it easy - I wasn't feeling up to much outside activity. But on Friday I spent some time with a friend of mine from my small group. It was nice to just sit and chat for a bit over a cup of coffee and a Cinnabon (ok, I indulged...) and we explored Wakalot St, which has a lot of stores and little boutiques hidden away.

On Saturday, a bunch of us from school got together at Brenda's (my classmate's) house for Mexican food on the roof. We made tons of food, and it was awesome. So nice to have a homecooked meal... I don't really cook that often, but I did make chocolate chip cookies from scratch. Yum!

On Sunday, I went with Christina to volunteer with a children's club in a Palestinian refugee camp. We had face painting and coloring all set up, as well as a table on how to make dolls out of yarn. We were ready to open up shop, when the woman in charge of signing up the families told us it wasn't working out that day, no one was coming. So we packed up, with the promise of setting up another day. It was still fun, we occupied some of the other volunteers' kids for a while, my face ended up painted somehow, and afterwards 10 of us piled into a small car to go to Bakehouse -
alan
alan
(another classmate)
a restaurant that serves "American" breakfast. We had awesome waffles, fresh-squeezed juice (they had just squeezed apple juice and orange juice - it was fantastic), some brownies... Awesome.

Monday started out bad, I felt terrible, I couldn't remember the conversation I was supposed to have memorized by first hour, and I hadn't really slept the night before. Class starts, we turn the lights on after about 10 minutes, and the wire near the ceiling sparks into a little flame, and then goes out. We think, oh we'll just keep an eye on it, and then a couple minutes later, it flames up again, this time we've got a little fire. We all jump up and are like, "Oh man, what do we do?" First thought is, grab water, throw it on the fire! But no, it's an electrical fire. But then it goes out, so we get the director, grab all of our stuff and head outside to the courtyard to continue our lesson. We all settle down, I start reciting the conversation, and we hear this popping noise. So we run to check it out. That little flame that died had come back to life as a nice-sized fire, and it's burning those foam ceiling tiles, the ONLY flammable thing in the room besides the curtains. So we holler for the director again, one of my classmates runs into the office to grab the fire extinguisher, runs into the room, and puts it out. The electrician came in and replaced the wires, we aired the room out and got rid of the smoke, and all that remains is a half-burnt ceiling tile. And a bunch of people freaking out about how we managed to almost burn down a building that was apparently non-flammable. There's a reason why they call us the trouble class, and I'm not so sure it's because we're loud anymore...

Anyways, we all survived the ordeal. Life here is always interesting. Coming up this week: Wadi Rum on Friday and Saturday, dinner with some QuestScope friends on Sunday, and thankfully, another cold front. 95 degree days are SO last month...

And as a quick side note - in my last entry, there was a group picture, and in that picture, the woman in the long, black shirt was seriously pregnant, like about to pop pregnant. Well, today she had a healthy baby boy. So we're welcoming a new member into our group family! Thought you guys would like to know :]
liam fell asleep like this
liam fell asleep like this
we laughed and one of our group said it looked like he had too much whiskey. he woke covered in black paint from his soccer ball. it was hilarious.
Annamarie - last week
Annamarie - last week
now - with her baby out and healthy - mabruuk!

No comments:

Post a Comment