Thursday, May 20, 2010

Goodbye, Kelsey!


Today, a chapter of my life came to a close. Almost two years ago, I moved to Jordan to study Arabic at Kelsey, intending to complete the two year program. Things got a little rough, and there were times when I wasn't sure I would actually be able to finish what I started. But I made it to the end - this morning, I graduated from Kelsey, completing all four semesters.


It still hasn't quite hit me. I feel like I'll be back at school for another day of grammar, translation, and laughter about our difficulties with broken plurals and masdars. Though my time at Kelsey is over, I still have far to go with Arabic. It takes years and years of study and constant speaking for most people to get good at this language. But one thing is for sure - as much as Arabic drives me crazy, I absolutely love it. I love speaking it, I love hearing it, and I really love being able to read and write it.

So I bid a bittersweet, yet fond, farewell to Kelsey, along with 15 others that I've spent so much time with over these 2 years. I hugged my teachers, laughed with friends, ate delicious Arabic food, then walked out the door with a sense of accomplishment and a smile on my face.

Coming up: I leave tonight for a 10 day trip to Germany with the choir for the Musica Sacra International Festival!! We've spent almost every night of the last 2 weeks rehearsing and preparing, I can't wait :]

No comments:

Post a Comment