Friday, April 13, 2012

Tenting on the ol' campground

After we got engaged, one of the first things I did was register for a KitchenAid Artisan mixer, since you know, those things are awesome.  Right after that, I registered for a two person sleeping bag.  Jeff and I both really enjoy doing outdoorsy stuff, like hiking and camping.  We were given some great gifts - a super light two-person backpacking tent, a two-person sleeping bag, a two-person Eno hammock....  I sense a theme.

So this past weekend, we packed up our awesome new gear and set out for the Eno River State Park to camp out for the night.  We parked and hiked a little over a mile in to our campsite, which had a tent pad and a fire ring and a bench, and it was set back away from the others.  We were near a creek and the river, and since Jeff has this nifty water filter bottle, we got all of our water from the river.

setting up the campsite
It was wonderful to enjoy the sunshine and the green trees and the quiet and calm of the forest, just the two of us.  However, it got pretty cold pretty fast, eventually reaching 37 degrees in the early hours of the morning.  Cold!  I was not quite as prepared with my clothing options as I should have been, but now I know...  The next morning, we made ourselves hot apple cider and scrambled eggs for breakfast in our little cooking stove, and then hung out in the hammock for a bit before we packed up and hiked back out along the river.  There were a ton of turtles hanging out!  The water was really clear too, so we could see the occasional fish swimming around as we walked past.  All in all, a really nice trip!

our awesome new tent

yay trees!

that's our two-person sleeping bag in there...

our Eno doublenest hammock

camp fires!

setting up the camping stove

turtle!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like tons of fun! One of these days, we want to take the kids camping...hopefully in the summer, when it doesn't get too cold at night. :-)

    ReplyDelete